Experimental Summer Sewing #1 - When a tablecloth becomes a blouse

By Victoria As-it-Seams - 15:51


It's been a rough old year, so our holiday in the south of France was really, really needed. 
Of course the landscape is wonderful, the sunshine endless. But what was really special was having those little moments of time together. Like watching my son teaching my daughter card tricks. Or seeing them both explore mediaeval streets of tiny villages by lantern light.



And our holiday inspired me to sew. And experiment.

This was one of my summer Experimental Sewing projects...



Last summer, when I took part in the Alice in Wonderland sewing series hosted by Made by Sara, I acquired a pile of vintage table cloths. (honestly - buying bundles of the most exquisite hand-embroidered linens at our local market is cheaper than buying new fabric.)



So this particular pretty tablecloth, bought for just a pound or two was destined for my cutting table (aka my kitchen table - I have no sewing room sadly).


I drew a rough pattern, by drawing round an existing top. Very simple pattern, just bust darts, with simple straps.

Sewing with a tablecloth meant some modifications. The side seams are squared off - to make use of the existing hems, and I pieced the back together out of two over-lapping pieces, leaving a mid-back split.


It's not a perfect top - I'm not convinced it's totally flattering at the neckline or shoulders.

And these photographs aren't the best.
They were taken on a visit to Minerve, which sits in the middle of a stunning gorge.
It was the hot afternoon sun, and we were a little tired, when I begged Mr As it Seams to take a few photos.

There are lots of things that Mr As it Seams does brilliantly, but photography isn't one of them. I think he still thinks of camera as something with precious 'film' in it that mustn't be wasted. He takes one or two pictures and then says "Right? done."  Without bothering about focus, or whether everyone was looking at the camera, or the little details I fuss over (typically I might take 100 pictures before editing for a blog post).



So these three or four will have to do...Because I won't be wearing this little blouse anywhere so hot or beautiful again soon...
I'm ignoring my sweaty face and wrinkles and remembering a lovely day, and the sense of time and space with people I love, before we launch into the whole September crazy routine.




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. This is just gorgeous! Love everything about it! 💕💕💕 I think it fits you great! And my husband is the same way when it comes to photography! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful blouse. And I can commiserate about husband photography. Mine is getting better, but I still switch the camera to "auto" when I hand it over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so lovely and relaxed!!! Ahhhhh, you make me long to be in the South of France, with the breeze blowing my hair around! Perhaps with a glass of rose wine in hand. The blouse is so sweet and perfect - darling, but simple. And wrinkles? Isn't it funny how we all criticize our own photos so much? All I see here is a happy relaxed woman looking beautiful on vacay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you guys definitely deserved a nice relaxing break :) The top looks great. I think you used the fabric available very wisely :) Love the back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty. Your holiday looked amazing! Wish we could take a quick trip to Europe!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you, and try to reply as often as I can, either here or by email. All views, tips, gratefully received...
Victoria